Wheat Grass…simple. Green. Healthy.
It’s a new year and I recommend boosting your body with this natural detox juice.…6 power points of the green magical cocktail….go!
- Wheat grass contains over 90 minerals, 90..yes….90. Including high concentrations of the most alkaline minerals: potassium, calcium, magnesium and sodium
(Why do we want an alkaline system…because it’s a disease free zone) low acid = no sick time. …. here is your huckleberry…. coming in at 35mg per serving.
- It contains the essential enzymes: Protease (assists in protein digestion), Cytochrome Oxidase (a powerful anti oxidant), Amylase (facilitates digestion), Lipase (a fat splitting enzyme), Transhydrogenase (strengthens the heart muscle) & Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) (found in all body cells and is known for its ability to lessen the effect of radiation and slow cellular aging). Translation= skinny bitch with great skin and a normal pooping cycle.
- Just one teaspoon of Wheat Grass powder, weighing a mere 3.5 grams, is nutritionally equal to an entire spinach salad weighing a full 50 grams – it packs a punch!
- Wheat grass has more vitamin C than oranges and twice the vitamin A as carrots!
- Wheat grass juice helps your body to build red blood cells, which carry oxygen to every cell. By increasing the oxygenation the body you can help offset smog and carbon monoxide and increase your endurance during physical exercise.
- It also contains 19 amino acids, the building blocks of protein
Impressed? Not yet? Ok let’s keep going.
Many people starting wheat grass for the first time will experience a great initial cleanse. I.e. it’s a natural way to take out the garbage. i.e. things will really get moving.
Cleanse the Body:
wheat grass is an extremely beneficial food in terms of both its cleansing capabilities… According to ‘The Wheat grass Book’ (Wigmore, 1985), just 140g of fresh wheat grass offers the same nutritional value as over 3kg’s of fresh green vegetables! 3kg’s I know most of you don’t get that in a year! That’s 6.6 pounds Americans!
Wheat grass is a great source of vitamins B, C, E and carotene, which are hugely effective in destroying and eliminating free radicals and cleansing the body. Wheat grass is also highly regarded for its ability to cleanse the blood, organs and gastrointestinal tract.
Because it is also high in saponin, wheat grass offers excellent support to the lymphatic system, helping to carry away hundreds and thousands of toxins from the cells of the body. Kulvinskas (Survival into the 21st Century, 1975) wheat grass helps to ‘detoxify the body by increasing the elimination of hardened mucous, crystallized acids and solidified, decaying fecal matter. And you know How I hate /love fecal matter.
I feel like I’ve said enough, but let’s look at the big one.
Fun Fact: the chlorophyll molecule in wheat grass is almost identical to the hemoglobin molecule in human blood. The only difference is that the central element in chlorophyll is magnesium and in hemoglobin it is iron. What does this mean for me Freddie? Well, if I have to spell it out for you….. All energy from the earth starts where? Answer: The sun! Welcome back to high school. The plants convert all energy from the sun using chlorophyll, co2 and water.
A history lesson: Let’s begin with a question… who started eating grass and found out it was good or helpful in our overall health? Answer: Turns out Charles Schnabel, an agricultural chemist, conducted the first experiments with young grasses in 1930, when he used fresh cut grass in an attempt to nurse dying hens back to health. “The hens not only recovered, but they produced eggs at a higher rate than healthy hens. Encouraged by his results, he began drying and powdering grass for his family and neighbors to supplement their diets. The following year, Schnabel reproduced his experiment and achieved the same results. Hens consuming rations supplemented with grass doubled their egg production.”
Option Number 1: Wheat Grass Powder
There are two companies who make a good wheat grass powder. By good, I mean dehydrated below 107 degrees for enzyme preservation and grown outdoors throughout winter-(this yields a higher vitamin content). The companies are: sweet wheat and amazing grass. I personally use amazing grass. It’s affordable and I really like the marketing aspect of the company. They have some wonderful products and also have some great alternatives for kids. i.e. portable green packets for children to pop in their lunch box. Can you imagine your child glowing with energy and focus in the classroom…..charging towards his/her doctorate, and incidentally supporting you in your old rickety age. For this you may thank me. Seriously, the wheat grass powder is great, although it kind of tastes like your drinking the lawn. I’ve found if you throw it in your smoothie you won’t even notice the taste. Also a shot of water and then a shot of apple juice mixed in works wonders.
Option number 2: Grow your own Wheat Grass
For those with a green thumb and a flare for adventure….you can grow your own. There are numerous kits online which will send you everything you need. Then you simply buy a hand crank juicer. They are cheap, like 20-30 dollars online! So you just follow the directions and the best thing about this stuff…..it keeps growing as you trim it. Just like body hair!