Jackie Vanderbeck is an actor, writer, and the Founder and Producing Artistic Director of Sing For Your Seniors (SFYS), a New York-based non-profit organization. SFYS’s mission is to enrich lives through the universal language of music by bringing professional artists to the communities of seniors in need to entertain, foster connection and create shared joy. Proudly focusing its service to low-income senior communities, LGBTQ+ elders, veterans and those living with Alzheimer’s and dementia, SFYS is a five-time recipient of the Quality of Life grant from Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS.
Before graduating in the founding class of the Natomas Charter School – Performing and Fine Arts Academy in Sacramento, Jackie spent her summers interning in Outreach and Education for California Music Theatre, where she cultivated her passion for ensuring theatre be accessible to all. Jackie went on to study performing arts at the University of Cincinnati – College Conservatory of Music, receiving her BFA in Musical Theatre and the Ross Award for Excellence.
Some of Jackie’s theatre credits include the Denver Center Theatre Company, Pacific Conservatory Theatre, Sacramento Theatre Company, Broadway Sacramento – Music Circus, Shawnee Playhouse and two concert tours with the Tokyo Philharmonic in Japan. As a writer, Jackie’s first play with music, “THAW,” with co-creator, George Walker, received two workshops at the Pacific Conservatory Theatre.
Jackie is a member of Actors Equity Association and the Dramatists Guild of America.
Highlights of our conversation:
– 1:40 – Learning more about Sing For Your Seniors (SFYS)
– 5:22 – The different communities SFYS reaches
– 8:44 – Jackie’s favorite memories
– 13:32 – The incredible support of the community
– 15:13 – Finding new interpretations in old classics
– 16:32 – Staying connected to your artist’s passion
– 22:01 – Committing to one another
– 23:03 – Balancing charitable work and a career
– 25:28 – Connecting to the caregivers in your life
– 30:16 – Using your experiences and tools to connect to others
– 31:40 – The life-changing power of giving back
– 35:02 – How to get started with SFYS
– 36:17 – Giving back to SFYS no matter where you live or your singing ability
– 37:35 – The gift of Broadway
– 40:06 – Take action with these steps
Connect with Jackie:
– Discover more about Jackie – http://www.jackievanderbeck.com/
– Learn more about SFYS – http://singforyourseniors.org/
Connect with me:
– Check out my website – https://freddiesetgo.com/
– Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/freddiesetgo/
– Read my Favs – https://freddiesetgo.com/freddies-favorites/
– Sing For Your Seniors – https://http://singforyourseniors.org
– Amp Coil – https://www.ampcoil.com
I’m Freddie Kimmel, a Functional Health Coach, Reiki Healer, Certified Personal Trainer, Gut Health Specialist, and proud cancer survivor. I help men and women eliminate brain fog, bloat and belly fat through gut health.
I’ve been featured in The Wall Street Journal, the Full Plate Podcast, An Excellent Example of Being Human, State of the Arts on LA talk radio and Dance Magazine. I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts from SUNY Brockport, attended SUNY Fredonia, and graduated from the Institute of Functional Health Coaching.
I can be found in NYC living each day to its fullest and focused on creating more value then what I capture. Please stand back from the awesomeness that’s about to unfold.
– Interview: Jackie Vanderbeck
– Podcast edited and mixed by Andrew Geary – firstname.lastname@example.org