Today on the show is an incredible human. Jimmy T. Martin is helping to bring new modalities to make people feel better. He is also a survivor. He co-founded BRRRN Studios in New York City – the world’s first, cool temperature fitness studio. The studio has been featured on Good Morning America, Live with Ryan and Kelly, Men’s Health, GQ, Vogue and People Magazine.
On this episode we get into the science behind cold therapy, the brown fat you want more of on your body, how to turn an idea sitting on your laptop into one of Manhattan’s hottest (but coolest) fitness studios, and how beta testing your program inside a 38°F beer fridge in Brooklyn made all the difference in the world.
I want to also prepare everyone for the candid and at-times difficult conversation we have about Jimmy’s role as a caregiver to his late wife and her battle with cancer. Their bravery, her beauty, her strength, and this very real story is something we have the honor to experience. This show really hits my heart and if you could make a special place for yourself to be able to hear everything that unfolds in the next 45 minutes, I think you will look at life a little differently after the experience.
Highlights of our conversation:
- 2:29 – About BRRRN Fitness Studio
- 4:02 – Self-care is never out of style
- 6:26 – How the cold brought fame to David Letterman
- 9:26 – What is brown fat?
- 11:38 – The inciting incident
- 19:56 – How Jimmy’s time as a caregiver changed him
- 24:37 – Getting started with cold fitness
- 27:52 – The necessity of no
- 32:07 – Cultivating a culture
- 34:13 – Gaining permission
- 38:06 – Would you trade your most painful day for easier times?
- 40:55 – What beautifully broken means to Jimmy
Connect with Jimmy:
- Check out the studio’s website – https://www.thebrrrn.com/
- Facts about cold training – https://www.thebrrrn.com/the-cold-hard-facts
- Follow along on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/brrrn/
Connect with me:
- Check out my website – https://freddiesetgo.com/
- Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/freddiesetgo/
- Read my Favs – https://freddiesetgo.com/freddies-favorites/
- Sing For Your Seniors – https://http://singforyourseniors.org
- Amp Coil – https://www.ampcoil.com
I’m Freddie Kimmel, a Functional Health Coach, Reiki Healer, Certified Personal Trainer, Gut Health Specialist, and proud cancer survivor. I help men and women eliminate brain fog, bloat and belly fat through gut health.
I’ve been featured in The Wall Street Journal, the Full Plate Podcast, An Excellent Example of Being Human, State of the Arts on LA talk radio and Dance Magazine. I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts from SUNY Brockport, attended SUNY Fredonia, and graduated from the Institute of Functional Health Coaching.
I can be found in NYC living each day to its fullest and focused on creating more value then what I capture. Please stand back from the awesomeness that’s about to unfold.
- Interview: Jimmy T. Martin
- Podcast edited and mixed by Andrew Geary